Link Analysis & Disavow Case Study – Background & Overview
The Odyssey New Media team have just completed one of their most largest and most in-depth ?backlink analysis? and ?disavow? file compilations to date.
We were were approached to perform a link analysis and disavow for one of our client’s websites. Our client’s website had accumulated over 1700+ domains and 14,700+ ?backlinks? but had ever had their link profile analysed throughout the lifetime of the website.
From analysing their top-level link profile using our software, we suspected that back in 2010-11 they suffered what seems to be a link penalty. Although never confirmed by Google via Google Webmaster Tools, we strongly suspected this was the case from doing manual spot-checks on their backlinks. We discussed this with the client and it was agreed that the entire backlink profile needed analysis and any poor/harmful links needed to be disavowed with Google.
Link Analysis & Disavow work undertaken by Odyssey New Media
Over the past month or so our dedicated team of SEO specialists have been manually analysing every site as well as individual backlinks to see if their backlinks were worth keeping. As a result we found that over 90% of their links we’re poor, irrelevant or harmful to their performance. These links are now in review with the client and then the link disavow file will be submitted. If we see successful uplift from this on their SEO rankings we will report this on a follow-up post.
In any case any website that accumulates links and has never had a link profile analysis is running the risk of picking up poor, irrelevant and potentially harmful links.
Our Link Analysis & Disavow Process
The SEO link analysis, backlink removal and disavow link detox service we undertake includes:
- Extraction of all the site backlinks seen by Google through Google Webmaster Tools.
- Combining this with backlink data we acquire through the use of our SEO link analysis software (you can use one or more tools such as Majestic SEO or Ahrefs, the more the better).
- Manual analysis of all links and categorisation (i.e. bad, poor, good etc.).
- Reviewing of all the bad backlinks with the client and reaching an agreement with regards to the links to be removed (usually clients agree when they see how bad some of the links are).
- Email the offending websites requesting removal of the bad/poor backlinks.
- Collate a disavow file for submissions to Google through Google Webmaster Tools.
- Submit the disavow file to Google so that bad/poor links are ignored.
Contacting Odyssey New Media if your site needs Link Analysis
If you’ve never had your backlink profile analysed, make sure you do, there could be bad links holding your website ?SEO? ?rankings? back.
Feel free to contact us for a quick link audit to see if your website has been affected by poor, irrelevant or harmful links pointing to your website.
About The Author
Founder & Managing Director of Odyssey New Media, a leading Digital Marketing Agency based in Birmingham, UK. With over 10+ years experience in Digital Marketing Rob has is a results-driven marketer with the skills required to successfully implement cross-channel digital marketing campaigns that generate increased brand awareness, sales and ROI. Specialising in search marketing i.e. SEO and PPC. Other channels Rob has experience and interest in include Content Marketing, Inbound Marketing, Social Media and Website Conversion Enhancement. If you want to improve your sales, increase sales leads and grow your customer base then contact us today and see what we can do to help your company acheive your goals.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Call us now on 0844 500 6911.
- CMS (1)
- Content Marketing (3)
- Content Writing (3)
- Digital Tips & Insights (21)
- Email Marketing (2)
- Google (8)
- Guides (2)
- Industry News (2)
- Mobile Search (2)
- Odyssey New Media News (1)
- PPC (4)
- SEO (17)
- Social Media (17)
- Uncategorised (1)
- Video (1)
- Video Conference (1)