eCommerce Web Development
What does eCommerce Website Development Involve?
Unlike most normal websites, eCommerce websites require significant levels of website development. This is because eCommerce websites have more complexity and require a minimum number of features in comparison to standard websites.
The features which eCommerce website development often needs to satisfy include:
- Database Integration – Most eCommerce websites have many pages and require many category pages, sub-category pages as well as many product card pages (i.e. a page for every individual products. eCommerce pages and product card page data ideally needs to be stored and served up from an eCommerce website database.
- eCommerce Content Manangement System (CMS) – In order to update your pages and product card information such as pricing and descriptions a content management system (CMS) is required.
- eCommerce Shopping Cart & Checkout – Most eCommerce merchants will want to enable their online shoppers to checkout through their eCommerce website. This requires setup and maintenance. The shopping card experience is also key to converting sales and work should be done to ensure it is easy to checkout for users and lower shopping cart and checkout exit rates.
- Secure Checkout & Site Certification – The checkout process must be secure so customer personal and payment data is kept secure. In addition a checkout which is clearly secure will give users trust and this can lead to higher conversion rates.
- A Range of Payment Methods – Every business has a desired number of payment methods that it is able to accommodate. Equally it is important to have the main payment methods so as not to discourage people to transact through their eCommerce website.
- eCommerce On-Site Search – Many users are used to Amazon and eBay shopping experience which is primarly search driven. Providing a quality, accurate search can maximise conversions by enabling users to find what they want quickly.
- eCommerce On-Site Filtering – Providing additional filtering functionality to enable users to filter their search can help people refine their results and improve usability overall (e.g. ordering by price, ordering by price range etc.)
- Shopping Feed Generation – There are many online marketplaces such as Google Shopping, Amazon, eBay and more which require a specific shopping feed template to be provided. Ideally integration directly from your eCommerce website to these websites is required. This is so that updates are made to the feeds dynamically as soon as you adjust product data such as pricing, product descriptions etc.
- Mobile & Tablet Device Optimisation – Mobile and tablet devices are an increasing method of browsing and purchasing. It’s vital that your eCommerce website, signup, shopping basket and checkout experience are all designed to be responsive to whatever device users are using so that the website looks great for their chosen device.
- Additional Custom Functionality – Additional custom functionality can be added depending on requirements. For example, an eCommerce merchant who sells mobile phones may wish to add additional ‘related products’ features so they can offer customers mobile phone accessories which they also sell.
Why Choose Odyssey New Media for eCommerce Web Development
Here at Odyssey New Media we aim to provide eCommerce website development services at an affordable cost whilst also maintaining the quality required to satisfy yours and your customer’s needs. During the eCommerce development process we always aim to keep our clients informed so they know exactly where we are in the eCommerce development process. This is one of the main reasons that we have been able to establish ourselves as one of the top eCommerce web development company in Birmingham, UK.
The benefit of working with Odyssey New Media is that we also view eCommerce website design and development from a digital marketing and SEO perspective. This means before and during development, websites can be developed with search engines and customers in mind. Unlike other traditional development agencies who only focus on development, we take into account all aspects of eCommerce development – functionality, usability, marketing and SEO combined.
If you decide to further your interest in our eCommerce web design service and working with Odyssey New Media you can be guaranteed of the following:
- High quality – We have provided our services to a number of clients, big and small, in a number of industries and they all have walked away fully satisfied.
- Constant Involvement – We ensure that our clients is kept informed throughout every step of the eCommerce development process. This also allows for any any changes to the design, features, payment or structure of the website to be made during development and at little or no extra cost.
- Realism – From day one we are 100% honest about your prospects and offer you realistic goals to work towards and results to expect.
- Development with Marketing in Mind – We make sure all of our eCommerce web development & designs are SEO-friendly and can grow to rank well in the search engines. A great many of our clients see success from their eCommerce web development & design and in turn continue to use us as their Digital Marketing and SEO service providers.
To find out more contact us on 0844 500 6911 or alternatively you can email us to find out more.